Thursday, June 26, 2008

A New Dependence on Christ

Nothing in my hand I bring,
simply to the cross I cling;
naked, come to thee for dress;
helpless, look to thee for grace;
foul, I to the fountain fly;

wash me, Savior, or I die.

One of the things that saddens me the most about current Christianity is the lack of dependence we have in the cross. We have come to the point as a culture where we do not need to worry about our next meal, our national security, and if a common virus will kill us. Regardless of our comparative struggles, we live in a nation that is still blessed beyond measure and richer than the rest of the world. We have highways, cars, groceries, Wal-Mart, sports teams that play in stadiums used 6 days out of the year. I will leave my office in a few minutes, go home to a fridge with food in it, when I flip a switch light will come on, and I can go to the store and buy clothing with money in my wallet. Is this so bad? I would say not, but we must never put the gift above the giver. Romans 1 talks about worshiping the created things rather than the Creator, and the dangerous idolatry and eternal punishment that ensues from this.
What has been lost through this? I would contend that we have lost our need for God, and this is the stumble before the fall. We have become clothed, full, fat, and happy. And in this happiness and contentment we have lost God, we have forsaken Him and live in rebellion against Him.
The only way we can live in Christ and make it in this world that seeks to devour and destroy us is to come to the cross naked and hungry! We must run only to Christ to meet our needs, anything else is spiritual adultery. Our need is far greater than where our church building is (a present concern for the congregation I serve with), where we will be going for our mission trip, the style of music, and what will be for dinner on Wednesday night. Our need is to be washed by the Beloved, for Him to clothe our nakedness and feed us a meal only He can. We settle for mud pies when there is a great feast waiting for us (ref. CS Lewis). We bring nothing to the cross of our own, our great works and finest behavior is still before God like dirty rags. We have a problem, that problem is sin. Calling it anything else, ignoring God, being unsatisfied, struggling, etc. is a weakening of the very danger of this problem.
In Christ we are satisfied, blessed, saved, full, but more than anything else when we are saved it is the only way a human being can glorify God. Come to the cross naked, come hungry, come wanting, come with an outstretched hand Christian. And get ready for what Christ gives you! Don't settle for whatever else is there, and don't come with anything already on because Christ must be your all and all.
Wash me Savior, You are all I need. Wash me of every word and deed. Teach us to follow and depend on You. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment